We receive many questions from members about the coronavirus. Thousands of freelancers suddenly lose all their work and income . What you need know and do.


Highlights uit dit thema:

All the new developments around, and information on how to apply for the temporary benefits for Freelancers (TOZO).

Are you a freelancer? Then you can now apply for assistance via the temporary bridging scheme for independent entrepreneurs (TOZO).

Important update as of 27 May 2020: The Dutch government has announced that the TOZO scheme has been extended until August 2020 a.k.a. TOZO 2. Read all about it in this article.

Read more
Cancellations and Force Majeure

The very far-reaching measures taken by the government on the advice of RIVM to combat the spread of the coronavirus have almost completely brought the cultural sector to a halt. As a result, thousands of freelancers in our sector, i.e. you, suddenly have lost almost all of their work and income.

Read more
Foreign artists with a residence permit for the Netherlands.

What to do as an foreign artist in the Netherlands and due to the corona crisis you have barely any income at the moment? 

Read more
Legal help

Do you have any questions about your situatio and you are a member of the Kunstenbond, please call our legal helpdesk. Available every work day from 1 pm to 5 pm, via 020-2108052. You can also send an email to

Livestreaming and other online tools for artists in the 1.5 meter distancing era

One of the most striking effects of the corona crisis is the way people and society are forced onto the internet. In Dutch marketing jargon this is called ‘gefunneld’. Online delivery services can barely cope with the high demand. This does not only concerns food and clothing delivery services, but also the turnover of platforms for videos and music on demand, games and other types of entertainment.

rakenDra Smit, lawyer at the Kunstenbond, explains different platforms that are available.

read more here
Tax measures

The Tax Authorities cooperate in the implementation of the emergency measures and facilities. The following topics are part of this:

  • Defferal tax payment;
  • Lowering the provisional assessment;
  • Temporary reduction of recovery and tax interest.
Read more
Self-employed deduction and the hourly criterion (1225 per year)

Although initially it appeared that the Government would moderate the self-employed tax scheme, as a part of the package of emergency measures and provisions, as of now it appears that adjustments in this will not be implemented. Naturally, we wish for a realistic moderation of the hourly criterion, given the inevitable consequences of the corona pandemic on the actual hours spent at your business or company.

Read more
Relief for freelancers in affected sectors (TOGS)

Freelancers and entrepreneurs who are directly affected by government measures can receive a singular payment of 4.000 euros (over a 3-month period) without further questions or obligations.

Read more
Foreign artists with a residence permit in the Netherlands

One of the criteria of the temporary bridging scheme for freelancers (TOZO) is that you are a resident an lawfully reside in the Netherlands. If you are registered in a Dutch municipality with a valid residence permit, you meet this criterion.

Lees meer
Frontier work musicians and artists

What should you do as an artist when your work is abroad, where travel restrictions are now being introduced or where the borders are completely closed?

Lees meer
Moderation of the 'wekeneis'

The short-term unemployment benefit (3 months unemployment benefit) is intended for employees and workers (who pay social premiums / employee insurance via salary or payrolling) who do not meet the so-called 'four-out-of-five requirement'. So in the five years preceding the calendar year in which unemployment arose, you worked 208 hours (per year) in at least four years.

Read more
The Temporary Emergency Bridging Measure for Sustained Employment (NOW)

The government has taken various measures to compensate for the (economic) consequences of the corona crisis as much as possible. One of these measures is the temporary Emergency Measure Bridging for Retention of Work (NOW). It will soon be possible for employers to submit an application.

Read more